Typical applications and use
- Very Low Sound pressure measurements
- Low noise product measurements
- Sound power measurements at low sound pressure levels
- Measurements on hard-disk drives, computerproducts, quiet rooms etc.
The 40HH comprises:
- a special high-sensitive 1/2″ GRAS 40AH Condenser Microphone
- a special 1/2″ GRAS 26HH Lownoise Preamplifier
- The preamplifier and microphone are an individually matched combination. To complete the system, a special single or 10-channel power module is required and is available, i.e. GRAS 12HF for single-channel measurements or GRAS 12HM for multi-channel measurements.
- The chosen power module provides all necessary voltages for powering the preamplifier(s) as well as polarizing the microphone(s).
- The GRAS 26HH Preamplifier has a built-in overload indicator (which is repeated on the chosen power supply) and a frequency correction facility for both pressure-microphone operation as well as free field microphone operation.
- The GRAS 40AH Microphone is an externally polarized microphone with a specially reduced inherent noise floor in order to achieve a high dynamic range and wide frequency range. Its diaphragm is specially tuned to yield high sensitivity coupled with low internal-noise generation.
Frequency Response and Noise Floor
- The chosen power supply has a two-position switch for selecting which microphone operation to use, i.e.pressure or free-field. A typical free-field response for an angle of incidence of 0° is shown in the data sheet when GRAS 40HH is switched to free-field operation. Also shown is a complete low-noise measuring system, a typical noise floor in 1/3-octave bands for both the linear and A-weighted cases.