- Through a close cooperation with our customers, we know that data-safety is highly important because the costs related to unsuited and unreliable sensors may determine whether your project turns into a success or not.
- For our users, data safety translates directly into requests for easier microphone selection, simple system configuration and reduction of measurement errors.
- To meet these requirements, we invented the microphone set concept. It is simple, reliable and robust and consists of a microphone cartridge and preamplifier combination, which is calibrated as one unit. This eliminates errors because there is only one sensitivity value to account for and the risk of contaminating the interface is eliminated. Combine this with our unique and proven design and you have the most reliable measurement microphone sets available in the industry today.
Typical applications and use
- The 46AF is a free-field microphone set and as such optimized for all acoustic applications, where the location of the main sound source is known and the microphone can be pointed directly at it ensuring 0° incidence.
- The medium frequency makes it ideal for general diagnostics.
- Regarding temperature range, see the Specifications. Should higher temperature limits be required, we recommend considering the GRAS probe microphones where the microphone and preamplifier can be isolated from the hot source.
- The GRAS 46AF is a high-performance standard microphone set. In our clean-room environment the set is assembled and sealed with a label. However, the microphone set can be dismounted, if you wish to use the components separately.
- The microphone cartridge is the high-quality IEC 61094 WS3F standardized GRAS 40AF 1/2″ Externally Polarized Free-Field Microphone, designed for long-term reliability in multiple environments.
- The preamplifier is the GRAS 26TK Preamplifier which is a special version inclusive TEDS of the GRAS 26AK 1/2″ Standard Preamplifier with 7-pin LEMO connector, and based on our well-known circuit board substrates. In the industry these are famous for their low self-noise, wide frequency and excellent slew rate performance.
- To perform as specified, the GRAS 46AF microphone set requires a power module or an analyzer input which can supply the preamplifier with power as well as 200 V polarization. If the power supply is lower, the capability of driving long cables is reduced and consequently the upper frequency is reduced. If the voltage supply is lower it will influence the upper dynamic range.
- The microphone set is terminated with a 7-pin LEMO connector. Cables with LEMO connectors of various types and lengths are available in standard as well as customized lengths.
- The 46AF is IEEE 1451.4 TEDS v. 1.0 compliant. If your measurement platform supports Transducer Electronic Data Sheets you will be able to read and write data like properties and calibration data.