- GRAS 146AE is a rugged microphone specifically developed for harsh environments like Automotive testing. It combines the high precision and stability of a laboratory microphone with an unprecedented level of ruggedness, i.e. ability to work properly under adverse conditions such as shock, high temperatures, moisture, water spray, oil mists, and dust.
A new Paradigm for Automotive Testing
- With the accuracy of an IEC 61094-4/WS2F measurement microphone and ruggedness combined in one microphone, you can now use a state of the art microphone that provides the advantage of quality and stability over an extended period of time, even when subjected to rough conditions.
- You can make critical quality measurements without having to replace the microphones, and in this way enhance the confidence in your measurements while at the same time minimizing downtime and maintenance costs. Not having to reconfigure the measurement setup, again and again, reduces costs and makes measurements easily comparable.
- This microphone is specifically designed to resist vibrations, shock, and drop, and to produce accurate and repeatable measurements under harsh conditions. Application-specific test fixtures, cables, and accessories ensure easy positioning and handling.
- An integrated PowerOn LED indication shows when the microphone is connected and ready to measure. If there is a faulty connection the LED will not be lit during power-up. Finally, it will light up when the TEDS chip is read. This feature makes it possible to run a full “are we ready to measure?” test of all connected microphones by sequentially activating their TEDS.
- The 146AE is IP67 rated. All exposed parts are protected by water and oil repellent coating, which also is easy to clean. The coating can withstand heat and chemicals.
- In addition to the microphone set’s basic resilience against shock, dirt, and moisture a replaceable protective grid with water and dust filter adds an extra layer of flexible protection, including protection against high-velocity particles. This makes the microphone specifically well suited for high humidity, oil splash or outdoor measurement conditions. Simply replacing the filter-grid assembly will add to the time the microphone set can be mounted in the same test configuration.
- The 146AE has the same low-temperature coefficient as a standard measurement microphone set as for example GRAS 46AE but can withstand permanent exposure to temperatures from -40 to 125°C with no permanent change to its sensitivity.
- At GRAS we know that in order for you to trust your measurement results, signal quality, stability and robustness are essential. And because we also know how you handle and use the microphones in your daily work, we conduct a series of Highly Accelerated Lifetime Tests (HALT) to make sure that they perform under real-life conditions.
- For the new rugged line of microphones, we have made our HALT even more challenging to reflect the extremely harsh environments and conditions in NVH measurements. It is vibrated for 60 hours at 8g, kept in temperatures varying from -40°C to +125°C, dropped horizontally and vertically from 150 cm on a hard surface and put through a tumbling test randomly falling 100 cm on a floor 100 times.
- Furthermore, the 146AE is certified water and dust-proof (IP67).
Typical Applications and Use
The 146AE is a free-field microphone set designed for use in rough conditions such as NVH testing in the automotive industry.
It is specifically designed for applications such as:
- Engine noise vibration testing
- Acoustic performance testing
- Pass by noise testing
- Power train induced noise
- Computer Model Validation/CAE validation
- Accelerated Life Cycle Testing
- Interior noise (Roof, AirCon, Squeak, and Rattle)
- Entertainment and Communication, Voice control
- Vehicle component evaluations and certifications (Brake, Tire, Exhaust)
- Testing at temperatures up to 125°C